The Uptown at Warner Center site was orginally developed in 1955 with industrial buildings by the United States Air Force for the manufacture of rocket engines and related systems, and since that time, it has been continuously used for industrial purposes related to aerospace design, engineering, manufacutring and assembly. The site was owned by North Amercian Aviation, Rockwell International, and The Boeing Company (Boeing) prior to UTC.
UTC acquired the site in 2004 with its acquisition of the Rocketdyne business from Boeing by UTC’s Pratt & Whitney business line. The site most recently served as the aerospace production plant of Pratt & Whitney/ Rocketdyne, producing rocket engines and propulsion systems for the U.S. space program. In 2013, Pratt & Whitney sold its business holdings in Rocketdyne to GenCorp, Inc., the parent company of the Aerojet Corporation, which then formed Aeroject Rocketdyne. UTC retained the ownership of the site in this transaction. Aeroject Rocketdyne leased the site back from UTC until April 2014 when operations and employees were relocated to Aerojet Rocketdyne’s nearby De Soto Avenue plant. Although the site will be delivered to the buyer cleared of all improvements/structures the plant was comprised of approximately 16 industrial and office buildings totaling a little less than 800,000 square feet that often times operated with multiple shifts. This plant was an integral part of United States’ aerospace history.
|Conceptual Project Summary||Square Feet|
|Class A Office||1,130,000|
|Site Central Plants||50,000|
|Projected Hotel Room Total||210 Rooms|
|Projected Residential Units Total||3,950 Units|
|Projected Assisted Living Units Total||330 Units|
|Parking Total||10,030 Spaces|
|Total Development Site Area||2,037,929 SF|
|Overall Proposed Development FAR*||2.96|
|WC2035P Maxiumum FAR||4.5|
*Total Development Site Area & FAR calculation based on Gross Land Area report of ALTA survey.